Did you know that September is National Cholesterol Education Month? Many people may not realize how important it is to monitor your cholesterol as it may impact the heart, which is why doctors, nurses, and other health professionals continuously encourage people to know their cholesterol levels. This is particularly important to the Latino community considering how much their foods contribute to their overall heart health.
After all, the steps to prevent or reduce high cholesterol are based on the smart choices that are made. From the kitchen to physical movement, it can all play an important role.
September is also a time of celebration as it is part of Hispanic Heritage Month, which means that the community’s traditions are going to be amplified even further – and this includes food as well!
Thankfully, during the latest episode of BELatina TV, Chef James gave us more insight on how Latino cooking traditions can remain the same while taking care of yourself. The good news is that monitoring your cholesterol is possible if you use the right ingredients such as Mazola® Corn Oil.
Mazola® Corn Oil is an all-purpose cooking oil that is a heart-healthy* choice for your family. Variety of uses includes baking, grilling, sautéing, stir frying or mixing up a marinade.
Mazola® Corn Oil knows that delicious meals start with heart
We’ve partnered with Mazola® Corn Oil to share some of our favorite recipes that can be used to celebrate this month or the upcoming holiday season.
Find them below.
Roasted chicken breast with queso fresco
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of Mazola® Corn Oil
- Latin-inspired seasoning of your choice
- 1 pound of queso fresco
- Cilantro to garnish
- Start by seasoning the chicken with Mazola® Corn Oil followed by adding the spices.
- Then, either crumble or slice queso fresco and add it to the chicken.
- Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Add tomatoes.
- Drizzle a bit of Mazola® Corn Oil over the tomatoes.
- Place in a 400-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- To serve, make a bed with the tomatoes, place chicken on top, and garnish with cilantro.
Coffee rubbed steak with cilantro lime relish
For the rub:
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chile powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered coffee
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons of salt
For the meat:
- 2 ribeye steaks
- 2 tablespoons of Mazola® Corn Oil
For the relish:
- 1 white onion, finely sliced
- 1 habanero chile
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- Juice of 4 limes
- Mix all the spices in a bowl.
- Add Mazola® Corn Oil to the steaks and follow by adding the spice mixture on top, making sure the entire surface of the steak is covered.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of Mazola® Corn Oil in a heavy bottom pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the steaks and brown on the outside.
- Once browned, place in a sheet pan and take to a preheated 375° oven for 25 minutes for a medium-rare steak. Thanks to Mazola® Corn Oil’s high smoke point of 450°F, the food’s flavor won’t be negatively impacted.
- For the relish, mix all ingredients in a bowl and let sit for 1 hour.
- Serve relish over steaks.
These recipes were tested by the professional food-taster, Karent Sierra. She approved of them!
As you can see, including heart-healthy* Mazola® Corn Oil in your favorite recipes is an easy way of making any dish delicious.
Which one will you try first?
*Very limited and preliminary scientific evidence suggests that eating about 1 tablespoon (16 grams) of Corn Oil daily may reduce the risk of heart disease due to the unsaturated fat content in Corn Oil. FDA concludes that there is little scientific evidence supporting this claim. To achieve this possible benefit, Corn Oil is to replace a similar amount of saturated fat and not increase the total number of calories you eat in a day. One serving of this product contains 14 grams of Corn Oil.